Burger Battle REGISTRATION
The Burger Battle competition will be held on Monday, February 24, 2020 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
9:00 a.m. Registration opens
9:30 a.m. Orientation (mandatory for all competitors)
10:00 a.m. Competition begins
2:00 p.m. Awards ceremony
Winner receives a top prize of $1,000 and bragging rights.
Registration is $50 per entry and must be paid prior to February 4, 2020. Paid registration entitles named competitors admission to the Mid-America Restaurant Expo. Others accompanying competitors must purchase tickets at www.midamericarestaurantexpo.com.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
Please contact Shoshanna Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877.265.7469 with any questions.
BURGER BATTLE RULES
- All competing burgers must be created, assembled and cooked during the Expo Burger Battle and only inside the competition area.
- All contestants will receive 1 pound (16 ounces) of 80/20 ground beef to create three identical burger servings and/or plates. Each burger must contain a minimum of 90 percent ground beef. Additional ingredients are permitted, but must be supplied by the contestant.
- All entries must include the burger name and ingredients on the registration form. This information will be supplied to the judges.
- Burgers may include any combination of condiments (ketchup, mayonnaise, salsa, mustard, etc.), spreads (tapenade, pesto, etc.), sauces (barbecue, pepper and/or chili, marinara, etc.), cheeses and toppings (bacon, onion, tomato, avocado, lettuce, etc.) Every component of the burger must be placed between buns or bread pieces, or served open-faced on a bread product. Unadorned wooden skewers may be used to hold burgers in place for presentation. Garnishes and side items may be used.
- Contestants must bring adequate supplies for three (3) identical burger servings and /or plates. Contestants must bring their own work utensils (knives, bowls, spoons, spatulas, etc.), cutting boards, small hand tools, cookware and presentation and/or serving dishes. Contestants also must supply their own tabletop butane gas burner (10,000 to 15,000 BTU) to cook the burger. No electric equipment of any kind may be used.
- All ingredients and tools brought to the competition area must be transported in in plastic containers only—no glass!
- Burgers entered for competition must be cooked to at least medium a temperature.
- Show management will provide prep space and 1 pound of 80/20 ground beef.
- Contestants must attend a 9:30 a.m. orientation meeting Monday, February 24, 2020, when contestant numbers and prep spaces will be assigned. Contestants arriving after 9:30 a.m. will lose 1 point for every 5 minutes past the 9:30 a.m. arrival deadline. Contest managers will refer to the official Expo time clock only.
- All contestants will be notified of their cooking order the morning of the competition. Burger preparation may begin after the orientation meeting at 9:30 a.m. When a contestant's number is called, he or she will have 45 minutes to prepare and cook three (3) identical burger servings and/or plates. Only registered contestants are allowed in the competition area to prepare burgers; assistants are not permitted in the competition area. Once contestants have submitted burgers for judging, they must clean, sanitize and remove all waste materials from prep area. Under no circumstances are contestants permitted in the judging area.
- The burger competition is limited to the first 24 entries. Competitors must be chefs, restaurant owners or restaurant staff. Contestants must be 16 or older to compete.
- The first-place winner of the 2019 Expo Burger Battle receives a cash prize of $1,000.
- Overnight refrigeration space is available at the convention center for contestants’ burger ingredients. Call 877-265-7469 for more information.
- Expo Burger Battle staff has the right to inspect all coolers and products.
- All Expo Burger Battle contestants must be in compliance with Expo rules and regulations. Violators may be subject to disqualification.
- Decisions made by the Expo Burger Battle judging panel are final in all aspects of this competition.